Buttermilk Cake With Raspberries & Meringue Topping
Preparation Time: 50 mins
Cooking Time: 60 mins
For the cake
For the topping
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C conventional heat. Line the bottom of a 20 cm spring-form pan with baking paper and lightly grease the side of the pan with butter.
2. Place butter, sugar and vanilla sugar in the mixing bowl of the MaxxiMUM and beat for about 8 minutes until fluffy white using the beating whisk at setting 7.
3. Add the eggs one by one and continue beating at setting 7 for 3 minutes until the mixture is homogeneous. Tilt up the arm of the machine, mix the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, sieve onto the butter mix, add the buttermilk and gently stir in with the stirring whisk at setting 1 for about 1 minute.
4. Fill the batter into the spring-form pan and level the surface. Place on a rack at the second level from the bottom and bake for about 50 minutes. Insert a wooden skewer in the centre of the cake – if no wet batter sticks to it when you pull it out, the cake is done. Take out of the oven, remove the ring from the pan and leave the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack. Then use a long knife to cut the cake into three layers.
5. Put egg whites into the mixing bowl of the MaxxiMUM; use the beating whisk. Select the automatic function on the display and set the dial to S for SensorControl.
6. The MaxxiMUM will now beat the egg whites until they reach the perfect stiffness. Continue to beat at setting 5 while gradually adding the icing sugar and lemon juice. Continue to beat until the mixture has a silky sheen.
7. Spread meringue topping onto the first cake layer and cover with raspberries. Do the same with the second layer. Place the third layer on top and decorate with the remaining topping.
For an additional deco effect, you can light the meringue mixture briefly with a crème brulée torch and colour the tips light brown.