Lemon Custard Tartlets
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
|Shortcrust pastry:||Meringue:||Lemon custard:|
|125g of plain flour||4 egg whites, reserve the yolks for the lemon custard||1 lemon|
|55g of unsalted butter, cut into cubes||2 tablespoons of castor sugar||10g of unsalted butter|
|1 small egg||1 cup of thickened cream|
|1 tablespoon of castor sugar||2 tablespoons of castor sugar|
|A pinch of salt||4 egg yolks|
|2 tablespoons of cold water||1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence|
1. To form the tart base, add in the pastry ingredients into the Bosch kitchen machine mixer bowl. Attach the dough hook and operate at speed 4. Add in just enough cold water to bind the dough together if it is too dry.
2. Remove the dough from the Bosch kitchen machine and roll it out evenly using a rolling pin. You can use the tartlet tin baking cases to cut out the dough base. Pre-bake the short crust pastry in the oven at 175°C for 20 minutes until the dough turns brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
3. To prepare the meringue, combine the meringue ingredients into a clean Bosch kitchen machine mixer bowl. Attach the whisking tool and whisk at speed 7 until stiff peaks are formed.
4. For the lemon custard, cut the lemon into half and place the halves on top of the Bosch kitchen machine citrus presser attachment. Set the speed to 2 to yield freshly squeezed lemon juice. Transfer the juice into a bowl and set aside.
5. In a heated pot, place in the unsalted butter and thickened cream. Stir evenly with a wooden spoon. Next, add in the castor sugar and continue to stir until the sugar is dissolved.
6. Remove from the heat and add in the 4 egg yolks one at a time. Stir continuously until it forms a nice custard-like texture. Lastly, pour in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and half a teaspoon of vanilla essence for flavoring. To assemble, spoon the lemon custard into the pre-baked pastry cases and spread evenly. Top with the meringue mixture and sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
7. Bake in the oven at 175°C for 20 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve warm or chilled.